With the number of wrinkle-reducing and age-defying products on the market, it seems that everyone has a different treatment option. These treatments are effective in diminishing fine lines and wrinkles but not preventing new ones from forming. For the best prevention, Fort Worth patients should understand why wrinkles form and how they can rejuvenate their skin.
Understanding What Causes Wrinkles
Certain causes of wrinkles are unavoidable, but patients can counteract others by practicing healthy habits that are good for their body as well as their skin. Here are the top ten reasons why patients get wrinkles and what preventative measures can be taken to stop them from forming:
- Sun: While a free and natural source of vitamin D, too much sun exposure can also cause wrinkles and sunspots to form. Fort Worth patients should avoid going out when the sun is at its strongest (10 am until 2 pm). When they do go out in the sun, they should apply sunscreen before heading out and every two hours after to help prevent wrinkles.
- Free radicals: Naturally occurring atoms in our body, known as free radicals, cause damage to our cells. One visible form of this damage is wrinkles. A diet rich in antioxidants (vitamins A, C, and E to name a few) can combat this damage and slow the visible signs of aging.
- Smoking: In addition to the high risk of developing cancer and gum disease, the nicotine found in cigarettes constricts blood vessels and deprives your skin of the oxygen and nutrients it needs to stay healthy. Quitting is the best option for the health of your skin and body.
- Facial expressions: Our emotions cause the repeated motion of muscles that eventually become embedded in our skin over time. There are several treatment options for Houston patients to rejuvenate skin and reduce the wrinkles formed for a more youthful expression.
- Age: As patients grow older, years of sun exposure, repetitive facial expressions, and loss of elasticity in the skin add up and cause wrinkles. Another factor that causes wrinkles is genetics. However, maintaining a healthy lifestyle will help prevent more wrinkles.
- Gender: Women usually have more wrinkles than men because there are fewer hair follicles and glands on their faces.
- Gravity: Over time gravity causes the skin on your face to pull downwards. This leads to the formation of wrinkles, lines, and sagging skin common with age.
- Hormones: Having the right balance of testosterone and estrogen keeps skin looking young and wrinkle-free. As patients age their hormone levels decrease. Hormone therapy is a great option for
- How you sleep: Patients who sleep on their side or stomach with their faces pressed against a pillow will get lines on their face when they wake up. Over time, these lines accumulate and eventually cause wrinkles to form. Try falling asleep on your back to avoid this problem.
- Unhealthy diet: The occasional sweet or salty snack won’t cause patients to develop wrinkles overnight, but a diet that lacks the proper nutrition to maintain skin health will. Switching to a diet with healthy fats, plenty of fruit and vegetables, and a diet rich in vitamins A, C, and E will help prevent wrinkles.
Contact Ideal Skin MedSpa AT 817.820.0193 for a free consultation, and to learn about more ways to prevent wrinkles.
AGE WELL…LIVE WELL